Saturday, October 17, 2009

Real Football

So, I'm sitting in the pressbox right now, watching a very good Auburn/Kentucky football game and enjoying myself very much. I don't do a lot during the game so I thought this would be an opportune moment to do a little blogging.

It is officially 40 degrees here in Auburn and I can't help but giggle. Everyone and their mother (except my wonderful friends who hail from the North as well) are going on and on about how this is not proper football weather. Boy do I beg to differ! There is nothing better than layering on the long underwear, longsleeve, sweatshirt and jersey and heading out to the game (granted, I've only been a fan once so I can't really say...just what I've heard).

I'll never forget a Concordia football my junior year of college. We were playing in either the first or second round of the NCAA tournament in the middle of November...THE MIDDLE OF NOVEMBER!!! See, here is the thing...middle of November in Moorhead, Minnesota, has the possibility to be borderline arctic and let me tell you what my friends, it was that day. The air was so cold that the sound of colliding football pads rang throughout the stadium (and probably all the way to Prexy's Pond...look it up.) There is no more beautiful sound than that...maybe besides the sound of my many aunts cackling at something ridiculous at Thanksgiving (I'm talking about you Pat...ha.)

To all my dear southerner friends, you have not experienced what a real football game should be like. I truly believe that the founding football fathers would have wanted their sport to be played in the toughest conditions and I can't think of anything tougher than running around in freezing cold weather.

Oh...and another thing that really irks me is that they call their winter hats tobaggans...seriously? We Scandinavians know that the true meaning of a tobaggan is that its a sled people...a sled. I'm just sayin'

Go Bucks, go Cobbers, go Gophers and War Eagle (I have a lot of teams to associate with...yikes)

1 comment:

  1. it's definitely a hat! it's also a sled though ;) . just like a ball is something round and also a dance.

    ReplyDelete